Temporary residence may be granted to a foreigner who intends to stay in Montenegro longer than 90 days, in order to:
- employment and work, performing economic or entrepreneurial activity;
- seasonal jobs;
- secondary education or study;
- participation in programs of international exchange students or other youth programs;
- specialization, vocational training and practical training;
- scientific research;
- family reunification;
- on humanitarian grounds;
- other justified reasons specified by law or international treaty.
A foreigner who has been granted temporary residence for the reasons set out in paragraph 1 of this Article may stay in Montenegro in accordance with the purpose for which the temporary stay was granted. A foreigner may be granted temporary stay if: 1) has provided means of subsistence; 2) has provided accommodation; 3) has provided health insurance; 4) there are no restrictions in terms of national security, public order or public health; 5) has attached evidence justifying the request for a temporary stay.
A temporary residence permit in Montenegro issued by the Ministry of Internal Affairs, with the prior approval of the police.
Applying for temporary stay
A request for approval for the first temporary stay permit submitted to the diplomatic or consular mission of Montenegro, and if his stay in Montenegro, the request may be submitted to the Ministry of Interior Affairs, the place of residence, that is, regional unit or division responsible for internal administrative affairs of the Ministry of the Interior Affairs in the place where the foreigner intends to stay for the duration of the temporary stay. The application for approval of temporary residence permit must be submitted personally. Also, a request for approval of temporary residence to a foreigner for employment and work, performing economic or entrepreneurial activity, or for seasonal employment may be submitted by a company or entrepreneur in which a foreigner intends to work.
When applying for temporary stay in Montenegro foreigner must file the following evidence:
- Copy of a valid travel document (period of validity of the travel document must be at least three months longer than the period for which the temporary residence permit);
- Evidence that the police reported residence (section of white cardboard or a copy thereof – if the request is submitted in Montenegro);
- Proof of means of subsistence – proof of means of subsistence which enable him existence during a temporary stay in Montenegro is considered a confirmation or other evidence about the state of the bank account of an foreigner in a bank located in Montenegro, evidence of personal income based on work engagement, a statement to the legal person obliged to bear the costs of the foreigner’s stay or proof that an foreigner has provided sustenance in another way. It is believed that the foreigner has the means of subsistence, if he has funds amounting to at least 10 euros for each day of stay in Montenegro;
- Evidence that has provided accommodation – evidence of provided accommodation is considered a document on the ownership of the residential area or entered into a lease agreement housing (verified by the court) or written statement of a person with whom the foreigner has provided accommodation or a certificate of accommodation in the company or entrepreneur registered for the provision of accommodation;
- Evidence of provided health insurance proof of provided health insurance is considered a medical insurance provided by an authorized insurance company (travel insurance issued by foreign insurance companies for a period of 30 days with a certified translation or an insurance policy issued by an insurance company based in Montenegro for a period of 30 days), health insurance provided in accordance with international treaties or health insurance realized under the conditions and in the manner determined by a separate law;
- Proof of the justification for the request – (evidence justifying the request for employment and work, performing economic or entrepreneurial activity shall be considered original work permit issued to a foreigner by the Employment Agency of Montenegro; evidence justifying the request for seasonal employment is considered to be the original work permit issued foreigner by the Institute for Employment of Montenegro; proof of justification of works of secondary education or study considers a certificate of training or studies; evidence justifying the request for participation in the programs of international exchange students or other youth programs considered confirmation of a state authority, or institutions responsible for the implementation of ratified international agreements on the exchange of students or students confirming foreigner participation in international exchange, or confirmation of the competent authority, i.e. the institutions on the financing of the costs of training or studying, serving, accommodation, health insurance and the cost of return of the foreigner in the country whose national; evidence justifying the request in order to specialization, vocational training and practical training is considered a confirmation of the legal entity or the competent authority in Montenegro that was granted specialization, professional training or practical training and a program which has been established during their lifetime; evidence justifying the request for the sake of scientific research is considered to be a contract concluded with a scientific institution in Montenegro; evidence justifying the request for treatment is considered to be a certificate issued by the health institution in which to treat, which includes the time needed for treatment; evidence justifying the request for family reunification is considered proof that the foreigner has an immediate family member of a Montenegrin citizen or a foreigner who is granted permanent residence or temporary residence in Montenegro);
Proof of payment of administrative fees for the application and administration fees for granting temporary residence on the bank account: 825-50-71, model 05:
fee – ref. number: 302752846, the amount of 5 euros ii. fee for temporary stay – ref. number: 302751220, amounting to 10 euros
NOTE: In case of granting a temporary residence permit to a foreigner for seasonal employment, proof of secured means of subsistence, provided accommodation and provided health insurance is considered confirmation of a company or entrepreneur in which a foreigner intends to work. Upon request for temporary stay, the Ministry of Internal Affairs shall decide within 20 days of the filing of a proper application. According to the request for a temporary residence for seasonal employment, the Ministry of Internal Affairs shall decide within seven days of filing of a proper application. After approval of temporary residence, the decision of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of approved temporary stay of foreigners in person. A temporary residence permit shall be entered into a valid travel document, whose period of validity must be at least three months longer than the period for which the approval is given, or has been issued an identity card for foreigners. This foreigner identity card is issued to a foreigner who has no valid travel document, and where until issuing the travel documents, a temporary stay is granted by a decision. The temporary stay of a foreigner to find employment and work, performing economic or entrepreneurial activity shall be issued for a period specified in the work permit. The temporary stay of a foreigner for seasonal employment may be granted for a period of up to eight months in a calendar year. A foreigner who submits an application for the first temporary stay before the expiration of stay of 90 days may remain in Montenegro until the final decision.
If regional unit or branch of the Ministry of Interior has made its decision rejecting the request for approval of temporary residence, a foreigner may be against that decision to appeal to the Ministry of Interior Affairs, within eight days of receiving the decision.